As we enter 2017 the month of January will be used to outline Mercator’s Charity Spotlight and also share the history behind the monthly feature.
Charity Spotlight was created in 2012, as Charity Chat, following a re-branding process undertaken by Mercator Financial where we identified out motto “Life is about much more than money; so is your wealth.”
During re-branding the Mercator team was in the process of creating an event that would give back to the community. While working with local advertising experts a campaign was designed that spoke to Mercator’s motto and fit perfectly with the vision that was already being planned.
The Charity Chat campaign started out as monthly awareness advertisements on the radio for local charity groups. Each month Magic 97.1 would interview the charity groups and the ads would be aired every Thursday at 8:20 am. With the desire to create something more we continued focusing on the original goal of creating an event for the community that would be fun, entertaining and also benefit the Charity groups. Anyone who has planned an event knows it can be hard getting the public out because every one is busy juggling daily events. With this knowledge we reviewed opportunities for partnership around events in the City that already had people attending; during a meeting with the City and The Swift Current Ag & Ex the partnership was discovered – City Wide Registration.
By forming community partnerships and with much support September 2012 marked the first Community Festival showcasing non-profit groups. An evening was created that would allow everyone in the community to attend as a community BBQ was held before City Wide Registration that continued throughout the night. The BBQ allowed families to play fun games and interact with the charity groups; while the children played the charity group could share information with the care-giver and build awareness for their cause.
In 2015 a shift took place from radio to internet and social media platforms which has allowed the charity information to be absorbed more. With 2017 rolling in we will continue to keep you informed about the charity groups that do so much for our community.
- February we will demonstrate the value of Kidsport so no kid ever sits on the sidelines.
- March we will spotlight Mental Health and the issues surrounding the illness.
- April is all about the success the Saskatchewan Abilities Swift Current Branch brings to our community.
- May is dedicated to the Southwest Homes and how they empower people.
- June will be focused on the Center and inspiring the youth of Swift Current.
- July, as we welcome summer we will share information on The Southwest Newcomer Welcome Center and the vital role they play in the Community to newcomers who settle n the Southwest.
- August is designed around having faith and how Rock Solid Refuge helps male teens.
- September we will speak up for our furry friends that the SPCA would love to find a home for.
- October we will highlight the Southwest Crisis Services and share their vision of “Building healthier families and communities.”
- November the information will be about the Dr. Noble Irwin Regional Healthcare Foundation and the steps continually being done to improve healthcare in our region.
- December is the iconic charity of the season…Salvation Army – a perfect way to close and “Ring in” a new year.
Like us on Facebook: Mercator Financial Inc.